Execute-in-Place (XIP) from flash?

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way I can use execute-in-place with MCM4+16
chips to save runtime memory. The options seem to be:

- Use the internal flash "/etc" partition. This would involve formatting the
JFFS2 partition with something else e.g. FAT as JFFS2 uses compression.

- Use an external USB flash ad run the software from there

Do you think there are some limitations that prevent one or both of these
options? And if it can be done, do I need to change something in the kernel
for this?

Any feedback welcome. Thanks to all,

Mahmut

P.S. I didn't get any responses to my previous post on using Linux 2.4.22
vs. 2.4.26, so I am assuming 2.4.26 should be working fine with Etrax.