Re: Crystal Controlled Oscillator

Hi,

In ETRAX 100LX Designer's Reference chapter 20, Electrical Information,
there is a DC electrical specification on page 29-30.

There you can see:
clkin Vih min: 0.7 x Vdd, max: 5.5 V
clkin Vil min: 0 V, max: 0.3 x Vdd
Iin (all inputs): min: - 10 uA, max: 10 uA

This is for the ETRAX 100LX itself.

Additionally, there is one other component connected to the
clkin internally in the MCM. This one has normal LVTTL levels
and also around the same input current.

So, effectively clkin Vil max is 0.8 V and Iin is +/- 20 uA for the MCM.

Generally rise and fall times are not extremely critical as long
as you meet the clkin high and clkin low time (min 15 ns) specified
in page 55.

Axis has recommended the transistor + Schmitt Trigger solution
because we have long experience with it and get good results
both regarding reliability and EMI. It is also fairly low cost.
But it isn't mandatory. You can choose another solution.

What you should avoid is a clock circuit with jitter, a circuit
with a lot of over/undershoot and ringing or a circuit that causes
significant 20 MHz ripple on the power supply. But I think you can
easily avoid all of this. Another concern is EMI. Many integrated
oscillator component are rather noisy and may cause problems with
FCC and EC compliance.

best regards

Per Zander