Retrieving PNG images from Axis camera/server

I have a requirement to be able to retrieve snapshot images directly
from an Axis camera/server in PNG format. I can write a CGI script on
the camera to retrieve a snapshot in BMP format in response to an HTTP
request, but I now need to convert this to PNG format on the camera. As
a Windows developer with little or no Linux experience I am looking for
the easiest way to do this. Can anyone tell me if there is a BMP->PNG
conversion utility or graphics library that I can use?

Thanks for your help,
Alan Perrott
Petards Ltd, UK.