Re: Generalized Flash question

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Thomas Beul wrote:
> I don't know much about JFFS. Is there a kind of allocation table in a
> fixed block comparable to FAT based file systems? There were many
> discussions about the flash in the Beck IPC@chip (a chip with processor,
> ethernet, RAM and flash integrated). As far as I understood, the result
> was that the OS of the IPC@Chip uses allocation table in a fixed block
> which is updated twice during a write operation on any file. So the
> allocation table will break after writing about 5,000 files, even if they
> are
> at different locations.

No, there are no allocation maps in JFFS. The closest thing you could come
are checkpoints which will be written now and then in the log to make
recovery faster after a boot or crash. There are no "weak spots" in the
flash area.

Having said that, the GC algorithm is a bit stupid so far because it
shuffles around data too much, causing greater wearing than necessary.

-Bjorn