Expected behavior of JFFS?

I compiled JFFS (from David Woodhouse's 20010102 build) into a
2.2.18 kernel, setting the debug value to 3.  I then build and
mounted an image.

As soon as I mount the image, I start getting debug printfs
in something of the following sequence:
jffs_try_to_erase()
jffs_get_oldest_node()
jffs_find_file()
jffs_garbage_collect_next()
jffs_rewrite_data()
jffs_fmalloc()
jffs_rewrite_data()
jffs_read_data()
jffs_insert_node()
jffs_update_file()
jffs_delete_data()
jffs_fmfree()
jffs_insert_data()
jffs_remove_redundant_nodes()

	and maybe some others, I'm not exactly sure where the cycle
starts.  I do know that it does not seem to end, even after leaving
the machine running over a 4 day weekend.  In the process, the free
space remaining on the flash drive dropped 54 Kbytes, even though I
wasn't doing anything and none of the daemons should have been
writing to the flash drive.
	Is this supposed to happen?

	My flash drive is still crashing the system if I try to write
to it.

Mark Langsdorf
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc             Tel: 512.602.3756
5204 E. Ben White Blvd. M/S 590         Fax: 512.602.5051
Austin, TX 78741                        mark.langsdorf@xxxxxxx.com