Re: JFFS compression and hard links.

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Bjorn Wesen wrote:
>
> > > We might as well bite the bullet and do dynamic compression right from the
> > > start - people want it.
> >
> > Some people want it - I definitely don't want it and the iPAQ guys did not
> > want it either :)
>
> People who pay my salary want it :) IIRC Jim Gettys suggested it just
> because it'd be easier, not because he didn't actually want dynamic
> compression.

I think there was a question of CPU usage i.e. battery duration as well.  I
don't know if the difference for normal use is significant though.

> > A mount option would be in order to disable/enable it I guess.
>
> OK, I'll do that. Makes a lot of sense.

While we are at the point of redefining node content, why not assigning a
bit which meaning would be "compress on write"?  This way compression could
be selected on a file by file basis as well.  Frequently rewritten files may
be marked as "do not compress" while unfrequently modified files, like
configuration files, would be compressed.

Nicolas