Re: JFFS compression and hard links.

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Joe deBlaquiere wrote:

> What about a 'compress on cleanup' bit. This could give the GC routines
> a little emergency margin in that some files could be kept uncompressed
> until space ran low and then compressed to save space.

For systems where compressed writes really aren't faster than
uncompressed writes (or consume more power) that makes a reasonable amount
of sense, I suppose. The initial write is fast and the kernel thread sorts
it out later.

But if we drop the O_SYNC semantics and have writes done from the kernel
thread too, then I think the effect is much the same. Not that I'm going
to be doing that in the immediate future, but it's coming.

--
dwmw2