Re: JFFS compression and hard links.

David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
>
> > While we are at the point of redefining node content, why not assigning a
> > bit which meaning would be "compress on write"?  This way compression could
> > be selected on a file by file basis as well.  Frequently rewritten files may
> > be marked as "do not compress" while unfrequently modified files, like
> > configuration files, would be compressed.
>
> Good idea. Extend that to directories too, with the meaning 'automatically
> compress new files which are created in this directory'. I think that's
> what the ext2compr patches do.

I'm all for compression... at least till my AC power goes, then I switch to
battery with just enough time for a clean shutdown.  If the CPU has to run the
compress algorithm too much time on power failure my system may run short on
power.

Will the compressed directories be user defined?  Maybe a /etc/jffs_compress.conf
file?  That way the end user could decide what dir's to be compressed. ( and I
would not have to talk to my engineer's about redesign )

greg