Re: JFFS compression and hard links.

"Thomas S. Iversen" wrote:

> > compress new files which are created in this directory'. I think that's
> > what the ext2compr patches do.
>
> It is. As far as I remember (used it to build an system in 8 megs and no
> disk), you could set the compression method on a by file/directory or by
> basis. (bzip2, gzip, compress and so on)

e2compr did indeed use chattr in this fashion.  In addition, you
could select the compression method and compression cluster size
with chattr.  I think that tweaking the cluster size would allow
you to tweak the effectiveness of compression vs speed of reading
a "random" block.  The cluster size was either 4, 8, 16 or 32
blocks per cluster.

FYI, here's a link for e2compr's manual:
  http://cvs.bofh.asn.au/e2compr/manual-0.4/

    Scott Anderson
    scott_anderson@xxxxxxx.
    (408)328-9214               1237 East Arques Ave.
    http://www.mvista.com       Sunnyvale, CA  94085