Re: JFFS2 Request For Testing.

vmalik@xxxxxxx.com said:
> David, why is mkfs.jffs2 so important (or needed at all). What's wrong
> with mounting an erased mtdblock partition and then copying everything
> you need on to that.

> One can then just dd the stuff off the mtd char device for the
> partition. What am I missing? (at least that's what I've been doing
> thus far with jffs).

That works, but it does require that you run a 2.4 kernel with MTD and
mtdram available on your host. (Oh yeah, that reminds me - backports to 2.2
and 2.0 should also be on the TODO list. Along with the port to eCos.)

People like to develop on bog-standard Linux installations. No Linux vendor
has yet been insane enough to ship a 2.4 kernel, have they?

--
dwmw2