Fwd: [Handhelds] Cloudburst: A Compressing, Log-Structured Virtual Disk for Flash Memory

In case anyone missed this message...
			- Jim

Sender: handhelds-admin@xxxxxxx.org
From: tim.mann@xxxxxxx.com
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 17:53:50 -0800 (PST)
To: handhelds@xxxxxxx.org
Subject: [Handhelds] Cloudburst: A Compressing, Log-Structured Virtual Disk
for Flash Memory
-----
Last summer, a research intern and I developed a compressing virtual disk
in flash for Itsy Linux that ext2 (or other filesystems) can run on top
of, and I've just gotten around to putting together a technical note on
it.  It will soon show up on the Compaq Research web site; in the meantime
you can read it at http://www.tim-mann.org/papers/cloudburst.html

I have the impression that JFFS2 is probably the better approach to the
problem, because we didn't come up with a really good solution for the
issue of what happens when you run out of space (discussed in the paper).
I'm not sure what JFFS2 does about that, but it should be easier to handle
in an integrated log-structured filesystem than in Cloudburst's layered
approach.

Anyway, the Cloudburst work seemed too interesting to bury, and perhaps
there are data structure ideas in it that can be used elsewhere, so I
thought it was worthwhile to put out this tech note on it.  Enjoy...

Tim Mann  tim.mann@xxxxxxx.org">http://www.tim-mann.org
Compaq Computer Corporation, Systems Research Center, Palo Alto, CA

Jim Gettys
Technology and Corporate Development
Compaq Computer Corporation
jg@xxxxxxx.com