Re: MTD,JFFS on JEDEC devices with uClinux-2.0.38.1pre7

David Woodhouse wrote:

> sbrasher@xxxxxxx.com said:
> > Have successfully ported uClinux-2.0.38 to a propritary m68360
> > platform that uses JEDEC  AMD29F040 flash and successfully backported
> > MTD and JFFS also.
>
> How tidy is it? Would it be feasible to merge the necessary changes into
> the original?

Tried to keep the changes to mtd, jffs and physmem ifdef'ed version
20100
or ifdef'ed for my CONFIG_CIRILIUM type and think I was reasonably
successful.  For jffs, I wrote an inode-v20.c.  When I am sure that
everything works correctly, I will tar.gz my mtd tree and send it to
you.

Garbage_collect appears to run when the filesystem is mounted or when
you
run out of space in the file system.  I have not done any testing on
garbage_collect and after it is tested, I will send you the tree.

> sbrasher@xxxxxxx.com said:
> > Now, this is where I need help.  I have 2 Mbytes flash and would like
> > to partition it  with 512K used by MTD for the kernel and the loader,
> > and the rest of the flash memory as JFFS filesystem and cannot figure
> > out how to do it.
>
> Instead of add_mtd_device(mymtd) you want...
>
> static struct mtd_partition pnc_partitions[3] = {
>         {
>                 name: "loader/kernel",
>                 size: 0x80000,
>                 offset: 0
>         },
>         {
>                 name: "JFFS2",
>                 size: 0x180000,
>                 offset: 0x80000
>         }
> };

>         add_mtd_partitions(mymtd, my_partitions, 2);

I had alot of trouble in this area.  In order to get the jedec
devices registered, I modified physmem.c to call jedec_init for
my configuration.  I don't know if this is correct, but I get
jedec registered via the add_mtd_device(mymtd).

I added the above when I create the mtd devicea and it works
great. Thank you ever so much.

Next, I need to mount jffs as my root filesystem.  Will be looking
in setup.c to figure this out.  Any hints?

Thanks again,

Steve
--
Stephen Brasher					Cirilium Corp.