Re: $subject

jg@xxxxxxx.com said:
> I personally get a bit nervous about a file system automatically
> initializing itself...  This would mean that an accident where only a
> small piece of flash got initialized, one might lose the rest of data
> in an irrecoverable way.  Unless there is something about empty flash
> I don't know about (quite possible, I've never really read up on their
> characteristics).

We erase a block iff it contains no valid nodes after we've scanned the
whole of it. So if there _were_ data in it, they were corrupted and
unreadable already. We can't lose anything this way.

If for some reason we find a block with just a few readable nodes, but
without the erase marker, it'll go on the dirty_list and we'll garbage
collect what we can read from it before erasing.

> Also, it might take a "while" to erase the 1.2 gigabyte PCMCIA flash
> card I came across yesterday :-).  I suspect people would like control
> over such operations.

Then they need to format the device before mounting. It has to be done at
some point. And it only has to be done _once_.

--
dwmw2

 That's the theory, anyway :)