jffs2 with kernel 2.2.12?

Hi,

I'm just getting started with jffs2 and my current kernel is based on 2.2.12.

In the jffs howto, I saw that I could go with 2.2.17/18 and add the patch and
then install the jffs files.   At this time, I'm a little hesitant to try to
update to 2.2.17/18.    Assuming I can apply the patch to my kernel source, does
anyone know if there is anything else between 2.2.12 & 2.2.17 that I will need
for jffs or mtd?   For example, does 2.2.12 have all the right fs code?

Thanks
Barbara