waste space with jffs2 ?

Hi all

is it normal that a jffs2 filsystem wastes so much space ?

I created a 1024 kb mtd partition on my 8 Mb Flash memmory
then

/eraseall /dev/mtd/2
Erased 1024 Kibyte @xxxxxxx.

mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock/2 /mnt

then df shows

/dev/mtdblock/2           1024       644       380  63% /mnt

this i can reproduse always
i though that df is not working whell and tested so i tried to copy some
files into

uncompressed they were 744 kb , so normal it shuld fixx in a 1024 kb
but after ca 500 kb i got No space left on device
so compression worked , the 644 kb wasted for nothing after cration are
wasted realy :(

so then i tried to make a jffs2 immage of my 744kb with mkfs.jffs2
mkfs.jffs2 --root=/LinuxPPC/test/ -e 0x20000 -o test2.jffs2 -b -p

the immage was 640k , ok

eraseall /dev/mtd/2
Erased 1024 Kibyte @xxxxxxx.
cp /test2.jffs2 /dev/mtd/2
mount /dev/mtdblock/2 /mnt

then a df shows
/dev/mtdblock/2           1024      1024         0 100% /mnt

i copyed all files out there , and all files were ok

i tried to copy 1 file into it  ==> No space left on device
i tried to delete 1 file in in  ==> No space left on device

so something is very wrong i thnik :(
any ideas ?

i am using kernel 2.4.2 with mtdcvs from 23.08.2001
the erasesize i am using is the same, that  the mtd driver reports

dennis