Re: JFFS

msundius@xxxxxxx.com said:
>  I ceate the JFFS and I can write and then read back from it. However
> if I unmount my FS and then mount it back again I see that some of the
> files have either disappeared or been truncated to 0 length.

Odd. It sounds like the writes to flash aren't actually working. Can you
try some tests on the MTD driver directly, writing various lengths of data
to variously-aligned offsets within the device and then checking that they
have 'taken'?

> - Is this an OK configuration?

Looks fine.

> - What is the currently "blessed" version that you would recommend
>    for the kernel version that I'm using?

The latest code in my CVS tree ought to work fine with most kernel
versions; if not it should be fairly simple to fix.

> - Has any of this been tested on the PowerPC?

I believe so, although I cannot personally remember running it on any
big-endian systems.

> - Is there something stupid that you can see that I'm doing?

No, but do check the underlying flash driver is working OK. If it seems OK
with the checks I suggested above, then put extra code into
flash_safe_writev() to make it read back from the flash after writing and
compare. If that check doesn't trigger, then do the following:

 - mount an empty flash
 - do the _minimum_ amount of writing to reproduce the problem.
 - unmount
 - take snapshot of flash
 - remount

Then send me all the debugging output and the snapshot.
CONFIG_JFFS_FS_VERBOSE=2 should be sufficient.

> Lastly
> - From reading the JFFS how-to / FAQ, It wasn't clear if one should
>    count on the stability of JFFS2 or should I stick with the JFFS1?
>    This is all for a very high reliability networking switch so I want
>    to make sure its really solid...

I don't believe there's a great deal to choose between them now, in terms
of stability. I'm biased though.

--
dwmw2