Re: JFFS2 and XIP

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, A. Craig West wrote:
>
> > My problem is that I have no control over the hardware platform, and it has
> > flash.
>
> How much RAM does it have?

I apparently totally missed this message when it came around, and only saw it
when I was doing a Google search... In any case, I finally have almost enough
time available to work on this again.
To answer the question, I am working with an Agenda VR3, which has 16 M of
flash and 8M of RAM. From what I have heard on agenda-dev, the main reason
that the memory is so low is due to power constraints.
I expect that I am going to have to read over the code foer jffs2 before I
have any idea what is feasible, though. Are there any good, recent overviews
of the jffs2 filesystem that could help me? Ideally, I want to be able to
have XIP support in a writable file-system. Reading back over the the old
thread, I can see that there are a lot of issues with this, but it still
looks do-able. The Redmond guys have XIP, so it can't be THAT hard :-)
It appears certain that XIP files would have to be un-compressed, and pages
containing active XIP sessions would not be movable.

By the way, what version of kernel is needed for jffs2? The VR3 is running a
patched version of 2.4pre9, I believe. There has been some talk of updating
the kernel, but I expect that to be a time-sonsuming process...

--
Craig West         Ph: (416) 213-0300	|  It's not a bug,
acwest-sig@xxxxxxx.