Re: Endurance

I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anything been done about the long time it takes for a JFFS
volume to mount in recent versions? It seems as though that check
to make sure that a word has not be "half way" written is excessively
long. Our application must come back on line very quickly if it does
fail (not that it ever does ;}...).

Anyway I was thinking that this maybe is a driver thing since the
driver should ensure that the data on the device is in a steady state.
The driver might be able to make some assumptions and be a bit more
efficient reading and rereading over and over.

alternately, I was thinking that maybe this check could be done in the
background. i.e. the full check need not be complete before the volume
is mounted, only before any of the data is really accessed.

Does JFFS2 do this check? does it take so long?

2) Does JFFS or JFFS2 support "holes" in files? that is, can you seek
past the end of a file and write data. This, I understand, is used
to write core files and other sparsly populated data arrays to save space.

3) When I last was working w/ this stuff, it seemed as though JFFS
was a little bit more stable and tested than JFFS2. I ended up using
JFFS for that reason. What is the case now? I understand that JFFS2
compresses its data, are there any other significant features/gotchas
that make me use one over the other?

4) In JFFS2 is there an option to turn off the compression if need be?
what sort of (data size/ speed) performance tradeoffs do people see
with this.....

Thanks