DOC firmware problems

hi,

 i have a DiskOnChip 2000 and i have the firmware doc504.exb loaded in it.
  i am new to this and I have a few elementary doubts.

1. Actually what does this firmware do inside the DOC ?
2. Can this firmware be replaced with some other one (i.e. can i format the DOC with some other open source firmwares )
3. How does the BIOS recognize the DOC (is BIOS recognition related to firmware ) ?

I will be grateful if you could clarify my intial doubts ( cause i am stuck up with a DOC which has BIOS and firmware problems)

Thanks in advance,
raja.