New jffs2 files stay uncompressed?

Hi,

Experimenting with jffs2, I see that the original files (that is,
the files there were in the image created by mkfs.jffs2) are
compressed and when I delete a big file, I also see in the free
blocks count that about 50% of the file size is freed, so that's fine.

But when I copy a new (big) file to the mounted fs, it seems to stay
uncompressed (looking at how many free blocks are used).

(I'm currently using jffs2 in combination with the mtdram, blkmtd,
and mtdblock drivers.)

Maybe someone can tell me what's the explanation for this.
I hope this is a simple question...

Thanks,

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxxx.nl>