Re: JFFS2 (not) on CF cards

trevor.pering@xxxxxxx.com said:
> I just had a thought here... what is the most appropriate filing
> system to use for CF memory cards? From my understanding of how things
> work, you can't use JFFS2 on a CF card because JFFS2 requires access
> to the mtd layer, and the abstracted IDE interface used by CF cards is
> not sufficient.

You _can_ use jffs2 on CF, because someone's done a 'blkmtd' driver which
allows you to use the CF (or indeed any block device) as backing store for
a faked MTD device.

Whether that's a good idea or not I'm not entirely sure, but it's there.

> How do non-Linux systems handle this (i.e., my camera, windows, mp3
> players, etc...) -- I believe they use fat32 or some nonsense, right?
> Same problems?

yes, yes.

My advice is basically to avoid CF if you can. We're very close to running
on NAND flash (e.g. SmartMedia) now, and that makes a lot more sense.

--
dwmw2