Reading JFFS2 from outside of Linux

I'm in the process of implementing a JFFS2 reader as part of a
bootloader for some custom hardware that will be running (uC)Linux.
Can anyone shed some light on what needs to happen after
jffs2_read_super() is called? I know the filesystem heirarchy needs to
be built, but it's not clear from the code how that actually happens.