JFFS2: blocks during mounts?

Guys:

I've noticed that when mounting a JFFS2 partition that resides on a
NOR flash device on my Intrinsyc Cerfpod, the system freezes for
several seconds.  Sometimes, the delay is upwards of ten seconds or
longer, depending on how much data is actually in the partition.

The device is an arm-linux-2.4.9-ac10-rmk2-np1-cerf1 on an SA1110.

Is there any way to minimize or eliminate this freeze?

Thanks!

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff