Some (possibly stupid) questions about creating a JFFS2 filesystem

Okay, so I have a few questions here. Apologies if they've been
answered elsewhere and I just haven't been able to find the answers.

1. How do I keep JFFS's garbage collection thread from touching a
particular block in flash? For the system in question, the bootloader
is on the same device as the JFFS partition, and I (obviously) don't
want JFFS's garbage collection erasing this block.

2. Why does the filesystem get so big? I have an input filesystem
that's ~2.7M and the resulting jffs2 image is 6M.

I'm working on linux-i386 with a target platform for the filesystem of
linux-mips.