From: David Woodhouse [mailto:dwmw2@xxxxxxx.org]
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 4:03 PM
To: Paul Nash
Subject: Re: CRC error after power off

paulnash@xxxxxxx.com said:
> On a slightly related note, is there a good way to force the
> filesystem to flush its contents?  I want this so that I can either

> a) power down
> b) replace the filesystem image by cat'ing a new one to /dev/mtdblock/

> In case b, the integrity of the old filesystem doesn't matter, but
> preventing the old FS driver from overwriting something in the new
> image does.

You can just mount read only, or manually kill the garbage-collection
thread by sending it a SIGKILL). All actual writes are synchronous so they
won't be pending (assuming you're not on NAND).

If you replace the file system while it's live, I strongly recommend your
next command is 'reboot -f'. You won't be able to get it to remount at all.
Why can't you do that from your bootloader?

--
dwmw2