Re: correct mkfs.jffs utility

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 07:10:07 +0100, j t wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I want to create jffs/jffs2 file system on RAM disk.
> Can somebody please suggest me where to download a
> utility for that.
> I tried using mkfs.jffs from so many sites but none of
> them is working.
> I am trying as follows
> Boot image for the redhat linux -2.4.17 is prepared as
> follows
> 1. Enable jffs /jffs2 support in kernel
> 2. Enable RaM disk support in kernel.
> 3. Enable loop device support in kernel
>
> mkfs.jffs -d target >img
> target is a directory
> Now to check whether the created image is correct or
> not I try mounting it using the follwoin  command.
> mount -t jffs img /mnt/windows -o loop
> But each time I get hte follwing message
> Bad fs type.,ad option,bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
> or too many mounted devices.

You can not mount a JFFS or JFFS2 image using the loop device. You must
access it via a real memory technology device (MTD). You have to enable
MTD support in your kernel use the emulation of an MTD on a block
device (CONFIG_MTD_BLKMTD) or in a part of the system memory
(CONFIG_MTD_MTDRAM) if you want to do some testing without a real flash
rom.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@xxxxxxx.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG