Re: JFFS Newbie

Thanks for the insight...

Can anyone think of an alternate file system suitable
for a small uP with limited OS capability?

Charles Manning wrote:

> Some issues here...
>
> * YAFFS is already well partitioned to be ported. The same might be true of
> JFFS2 too.
> *Beware licensing issues if you're not using Linux. If in doubt approach the
> Copyright holders to clarify.
> * On 1MB of NAND the RAM usage advantages of YAFFS will be trivial except
> perhaps during garbage collection (sorry I don't have enough knowledge of
> JFFS2).
> * If you only have 1MB flash, then the compression in JFFS2 will likely be of
> benefit.
>
> Squeezing stuff into a C167 is going to be a challenge I think. Unless you're
> using some special C167 features (ADC, CAN etc - which I figure you are) then
> it might be worth considering something else.
>
> -- Charles
>
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:09, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday 10 December 2002 18:56, Brian Moran wrote:
>>
>>>I am a newbie to JFFS. I am interested in JFFS as a flash file system
>>>for use on a siemens C167uP using a 1Mb Block Mapped NAND Flash.
>>>
>>>This device is intended to be a small ruggedized data logger.
>>>
>>>I would like to port the core jffs code to be supported on a device with
>>>a very small custom operating system (not Linux). I would like to
>>>support only the most basic file operations and directories.
>>>
>>I'm not sure, if JFFS will help you, as there is curently no support for
>>NAND Flash. NAND support is implemented in JFFS2 and YAFFS.
>>JFFS2 has data compression included and requires a fair amount of memory.
>>YAFFS is without compression and needs less memory.
>>Read also http://linux-mtd.infradead.org/tech/nand.html
>>

> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe jffs-dev" in

/***************************************************/
/*     Brian Moran                                 */
/*     ISE Research, Inc.                          */
/*     7345 Mission Gorge Rd. Suite K.             */
/*     San Diego, CA 92120                         */
/*     W:(619) 287-8785 x145                       */
/*     F:(619) 287-8795                            */
/*     C:(619) 917-1218 (new)                      */
/*     mailto:bmoran@xxxxxxx.com                   */
/*     http://www.isecorp.com                      */