Re: To David:4 questions about jffs2

On Sat, 18 January 2003 15:08:07 +0800, jimzeus@xxxxxxx.com wrote:

> I sent a mail to the mailing list a few days ago but nobody
> answer my question,so I have to ask you directly:)

Or make the problem more readable. Most people answer the questions in
their free time and don't want to bother with formatting problems,...
:)

> 1.If the mtd partition is larger than the jffs2 image, and the mtd
> part has not been erased ,the "Magic bitmask 0x1985 not
> found..." will appear ,right? And except for erasing the whole
> mtd part, is there any solution else? It seems that the -p option of mkfs.jffs2 has no use solving it?

- Erase the whole partition
- Fill it with 0x00 (erasing is better)
- Pad the image to the size of the partition (with 0xff or 0x00, 0xff
is better)

mkfs.jffs2 -p _should_ do the padding, if done correctly. It is quite
easy do make one mistake or another, though.

> 2.There is some "Old jffs2 bitmask found..."message there, so
> where the old bitmask 0x1984 comes from? and how can I make the
> message dissapeared (apologize for my poor English)?

You didn't erase the whole partition? Propably old garbage, unless you
prove us otherwise.

> 3.Sometimes when I delelte some files , it will be some "CRC
> failed"message there, I think it should be the abnormal power-down
> before the data was written to the flash, isnt it? How can I
> solve the problem? or there is just no solution except to ensure
> the board power down normally every time?

"I have pain in my stomach. What should I do?"
Try to be a little more verbose, do you have NAND or NOR, etc. etc.

David should have some better answers for you but the point with free
time applies to him as well, maybe even more.

Jörn

--
Ninety percent of everything is crap.
-- Sturgeon's Law