Re: Holding alloc_sem in jffs2_mark_node_obsolete().

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 01:39, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> Sorry. This mail got out of sight for some time. I think we should keep it
> there, it ensures the dwmw2-proofness of JFFS2 :)

The problem is that jffs2_mark_node_obsolete() can be called in
situations where it's perfectly _valid_ not to hold the alloc_sem --
from jffs2_clear_inode() of a deleted inode, etc.

We used to just take the alloc_sem in those cases because the debugging
check was worth the pain -- it helped us find the places where we were
releasing the alloc_sem too early in violation of this new rule.

But now that it's served its purpose, I think it should just be removed.
We've fixed the old code, and if I can't manage to follow this rule in
new code, then just take me out back and shoot me. :)

--
dwmw2