RE: Re: your mail

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 11:11, jimzeus@xxxxxxx.com wrote:

> > In some parts of the world that's patented and may only be used on
> > DiskOnChip hardware.
> >
> > Why on earth would you want to put FAT on NAND flash? Seems like a
> > really bizarre idea to me. What's wrong with just putting a proper file
> > system on it which is actually designed for flash?
> >

> Because I want windows to identify the NAND Flash.

You'll presumably have to write a driver for Windows _anyway_. And hence
I'd be inclined to suggest that you might as well use YAFFS or JFFS2,
and port it to Windows rather than implementing a 'translation layer'
and porting that to Windows.

> And,I am not very clear about you guys said(sorry, I have no experience on NAND flash),is that look like this:
>
> 1.   FAT
>     NTFL
>   NAND Flash

This is what you proposed. It's suboptimal for reasons which have been
discussed many times. Note that you probably cannot use NFTL; you'd have
to write your own layer to do the same thing, and you'd have to write it
for both Linux and Windows.

You _may_ be able to find and hack up some existing SmartMedia code for
Windows, if you decide to use that format for your translation layer;
I'm not sure.

> 2. Some Other FileSystem
>        NAND Flash

That's what I'm suggesting. We have two such file systems for Linux
already, and each has been written with portability in mind.

--
dwmw2