RE: Re: Re: NAND file system

----- Original Message -----
From:Charles Manning <manningc2@xxxxxxx.nz>
To:<jimzeus@xxxxxxx.com>
Subject:Re: Re: NAND file system
Date:Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:00:10 +0800

> > > Jim
> > >
> > > The way this works ius that the file systems are not built directly into
> > > the OS. Instead they are hooked up through a file system interface. This
> > > allows many different file systems to be hooked up.
> >
> > Yes, you are right, what I wanted to say is just what you mean,sorry about
> > my wrong expression before:)
> >
> > > In windows there is another way to do it. There is an exta interface for
> > > hooking up external devices and make them appear like a a file system.
> > > This is the interface that is used for example when you hook up a
> > > WindowsCE device to a PC and you see it as "My Device".
> >
> > From what you said ("another way",I mean) ,I think windows supply the file
> > system hook, isn't it? I dont know about the file system in windows at all.
> > And, even if I port the YAFFS to support windows,should I wait the windows
> > to update to support the YAFFS like recompiling linux kernel to support
> > some new file system? or all the porting job I should do is just modify the
> > code in YAFFS and then the _current_ version windows can identify the YAFFS
> > in NAND flash?
>
> In both methods, WIndows supplies some system hooks. In the one way, the file
> system is loaded through Explorer (I think) and the other way is through
> standard file system interfaces.
>
> The reality with Windows is that nobody will make YAFFS work with Windows
> until somebody thinks it is worth doing the work or thinks it is worth paying
> to have it done.
>
> What happens it that YAFFS must get new interface code to hook it up to
> Windows. Once this is done, it is installed into Windows like you install a
> driver. Then, Windows initialises the file systemn and sees the NAND flash as
> a disk.
>
> Does that explain it?

Yes, I think I understood you .So I have to install something
like a YAFFS driver on the current-version windows to make it
support the YAFFS and cant identify/format a NAND flash.

Sorry I  have neither enough time nor enough programming
experience on windows to porting it,though I really want to make it done as some kind of challenge to me.

Best Regards

Jim Zeus