Re: Trouble with jffs (long)

On Mon, 14 April 2003 16:56:25 +1200, Jeremy Bowen wrote:

> I'm having trouble writing to my jffs flash partitions and I would like some
> pointers.
> I'm using a PowerPC 850 RPXlite board running Linux kernel 2.4.7.
> I have 4 AMD29LV160BB chips configured as a single 8Mb bank of flash.
>
> I've defined the following flash partitions as below.
>
> bash-2.05# cat /proc/mtd
> dev:    size   erasesize  name
> mtd0: 00010000 00010000 "environment"
> mtd1: 00010000 00008000 "spare"
> mtd2: 00020000 00020000 "FPGA"
> mtd3: 00440000 00040000 "user"
> mtd4: 00100000 00040000 "kernel"
> mtd5: 00180000 00040000 "initrd"
> mtd6: 00040000 00040000 "u-boot"
> mtd7: 000c0000 00040000 "jffs"
>
> I have turned on verbose debugging (Level 3) to try and figure out what is
> happening.
>
> I can successfully mount /dev/mtdblock/3 and write to it but I'm unable to
> to mount the others. (I can mount the "user" partition but when I mount
> "spare" or "jffs" I am unable to write to them -> disk full.)

I assume you mount the above partitions all as jffs2.
In order to write to jffs2, you (currently) need five free blocks on
the partition. mtd1 (2 blocks) and mtd7 (3 blocks) would never allow
you to do so.

Try to rearrange the layout a little to combine some of those
partitions or use mtdconcat. iirc, u-boot can read the kernel from
jffs2 as well, so you could also merge the kernel partition.

Jörn

--
Homo Sapiens is a goal, not a description.
-- unknown