Re: jffs2 flash life calculation

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 11:22 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> If you have 12 blocks which are _half_ full because your usage pattern
> tends to leave you with a mix of live and dead data, we have to
> garbage-collect. If you have 6 blocks which are completely empty because
> you don't have still-valid nodes interleaved between all the stuff you
> deleted, that's ideal.

Note that our current garbage collection code is a little naïve and
tends to cause the former... we should GC clean, long-lived data to a
_separate_ block to which we're writing out new data. That way, we'll
tend to get much better behaviour because the long-lived data will end
up sitting in 100% clean blocks on the clean_list, while short-lived
data are in mostly-dirty blocks which are quicker to GC.

--
dwmw2