[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
power safe - appand to file
- To: <jffs-dev@xxxxxxxx>
- Subject: power safe - appand to file
- From: "Niels Beier \(NB\)" <NB@xxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:53:41 +0200
- Sender: owner-jffs-dev@xxxxxxx
- Thread-index: AcRC9o/4azATDDU+SM+7ENqxG1HFzA==
- Thread-topic: power safe - appand to file
I have two questions regarding the power safe features of JFFS2 (JFFS2 on eCos).
1) As I understand it, JFFS2 (being a journaling file system and not a versioning file system) only
protects the integrity of the file system and not the integrity of the file content. We need
to be able to append new data to an existing file (a system log file in an embedded device) and it is important
that the file is not corrupted if the power is removed during the append operation.
Is the append file operation safe (is the old data still available if the de power is removed during
the append operation)?
2) We need to be able to update the firmware of an embedded device in a safe manner.
After we have downloaded new firmware using a another name (old firmware filename : firware_old- new
firmware filename: firmware_new), how do we then change the name of firware_new to firmware_old (our
boot process expects to find a file called firmware_old) in a power safe way (if this is not possible we must
change our boot proces)?
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe jffs-dev" in
the body of a message to email@example.com