Re: Linux 2.4 driver problem

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 20:41 +0100, Frank Buss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are using the JFFS2 file system on an embedded system with an ARM PXA CPU
> and a Linux 2.4.19 kernel. There are two JFFS2 partitions. Sometimes files
> are destroyed, which result in a file error when trying to do a "ls" on the
> directory. And sometimes there are kernel OOPS in filemap_nopage (see
> http://www.frank-buss.de/tmp/error.txt). My questions:
>
> - are there any bugfixes from the version in kernel 2.4.19 to the current
> version?

Just a few :)

> - is it possible to back-port the current version to the 2.4.19 kernel?

You'd do better to backport the old slow stable branch from the 2.4.27
kernel to 2.4.19. You'll only need to do a little bit of surgery on the
VFS for that.

> - is it possible that the filemap_nopage errors are caused by the
> filesystem?

It's possible, but I wouldn't claim I think it's likely. It's not a
failure mode which rings any bells and I don't see an obvious reason to
blame the file system for this -- it looks like the file system isn't
directly involved in that oops.

> - is it possible that two mounted JFFS2 partitions can cause problems?

Highly unlikely.

> Upgrading our system to kernel 2.6 is not possible, because the project is
> already late and there are no other problems with the current kernel.

How about 2.4.27 though?

--
dwmw2