Re: Time for JFFS3?

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 14:38 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> There's a lot of new stuff pending, and in the absence of a 2.7 kernel I
> don't really want to destabilise the code too much. I think it's
> probably time to take a branch and call it JFFS3, and dump all the new
> and exciting stuff into it. JFFS2 would then be strictly bug fixes only.
>
> 	- Ferenc's summary support.
> 	- Artem's inode checkpoints and other stuff
> 	- xattr support
> 	- Splitting writes into nextblock_newstuff and nextblock_gc
>
> It would probably still be able to mount existing JFFS2 images but you
> probably wouldn't be able to go back.

Alternatively, if we decide we don't want to make it mount old jffs2
images we could go a little further -- we could remove the mode,
ownership, size and times from the data node too. We only really need
one instance of those in the common case, and we can save 24 bytes from
every data node if we put those in a _separate_ node.

--
dwmw2