Re: creating jffs2 filesystem on ext3

On Tue, 5 April 2005 15:08:14 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> As jffs2 is the only stable filesystem for Linux that is capable of r/w
> compression, I wanted to test it a bit.
>
> I have a 23 GB ext3 /mnt/test partition on which I would like to create
> a ~23 GB jffs2 image.
>
> My / partiton is about 9 GB.
>
> How can I create that big jffs2 image?

You cannot.  The mtd interface is limited to 4GiB.  Not sure if anyone
has tested a 4GiB filesystem yet, so the effective limit might be
lower, due to bugs.  2GiB minus a bit should be safe.

Easiest would be to fill the device with 0xff, use an mtd translation
and mount it as jffs2.

Also note that block2mtd, as of 2.6.11[.*] is broken, so either update
to mtd cvs or use blkmtd as translation.

Jörn

--
When in doubt, punt.  When somebody actually complains, go back and fix it...
The 90% solution is a good thing.